These lemon blueberry muffins have a smooth and fluffy texture, scrumptious lemon taste, and tons of juicy berries. With golden muffin tops and a candy lemon glaze – they make for essentially the most scrumptious muffin recipe!
This lemon blueberry muffin recipe makes the right muffins. They’re
- moist & tender within the middle
- have a vibrant and tangy lemon taste from contemporary lemon juice and lemon zest
- juicy blueberries all through
- and lemon glaze that makes them additional “bakery-worthy”
The lemon makes them a bit extra particular than your basic blueberry muffins. And also you’ll absolutley love the superbly domed muffin tops that make them image excellent.
Lemon Blueberry Muffin Recipe
I initially posted these blueberry lemon muffins waaaaay again in 2016. However since then I’ve realized much more about baking (I feel at the least) and improved my pictures (I hope) – so I figured I do know I might enhance the recipe to be even higher. After testing and retesting – this up to date recipe creates muffins which are fluffier, softer within the center, extra golden on the highest, AND the recipe is much less fussy.
I promise – I’m not over promoting right here. These are simply that scrumptious.
SO… Let’s speak in regards to the necessary substances for lemon blueberry muffins.
- 1/2 Butter. Good previous, scrumptious butter. It provides a lot taste to the muffins – however we’d like juuust the correct amount in order that the muffins don’t grow to be greasy. On this recipe you’ll beat collectively the butter and white sugar till they’re fluffy (about 2-Three minutes). Creaming collectively the butter and sugar provides air to the butter and makes the muffins lighter in texture.
- 3/four cup white sugar.
- 2 eggs for a young muffin texture.
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract (at all times crucial.
- 2/Three cup bitter cream for the softest crumb and completely moist muffins. Within the unique recipe I used a mix of bitter cream and buttermilk – however since buttermilk is fairly fussy to purchase, I made a decision to vary the recipe in order that you can solely use bitter cream and nonetheless get completely moist and tender muffins.
- Freshly squeezed lemon juice and zest from 1 lemon. No bottle lemon juice right here – in any other case, your muffins will style too tart. Utilizing the combo of each lemon juice and lemon zest makes the flavour vibrant and citrus-y with out being bitter.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour. Be very cautious when measuring the flour. If muffins prove dry or crumbly, more often than not it’s as a result of an excessive amount of flour was added to the batter. Whisk the flour first, then spoon it right into a dry measuring cup and degree off the highest. Don’t simply scoop the flour out of the container, in any other case it’ll be packed down an excessive amount of and also you’ll find yourself with an excessive amount of flour.
- 1 teaspoon baking powder & 1/2 teaspoon baking soda. I discovered that the combo of each made my muffins have the very best rise.
- And blueberries. As a result of – nicely, they’re scrumptious. You should utilize contemporary or frozen berries. If utilizing frozen berries, don’t thaw. Toss them in 2 teaspoons of flour to assist stop the juices bleeding everywhere in the batter.
It’s extraordinarily necessary when making muffins that you just don’t over combine the batter. Over mixing creates muffins which are powerful, dry and crammed with air cavities/tunnels. To keep away from over mixing it’s actually necessary to have your butter softened (not melted), and your eggs and bitter cream at room temperature earlier than getting began. This makes it a lot simpler to combine all the things collectively with out over mixing. Muffin batter will look a bit lumpy if you’re finished mixing all the things collectively.
Lastly, I prefer to bake my muffins at 375F levels. At 350F I discovered that the muffins didn’t rise as nicely. Nonetheless, at 400F the tops obtained too darkish. 375F was good for completely domed muffins which are golden brown with out being burnt.
The lemon glaze actually takes these muffins up an additional notch (if that’s doable). However for those who choose muffins which are rather less candy you can depart it out.
I like these lemon blueberry muffins as a result of they’re moist, smooth within the middle, golden on high and have essentially the most scrumptious lemon taste with so many candy berries. They’re the right switch-up fro basic blueberry muffins, and style scrumptious for breakfast or a mid-afternoon snack.
For the Muffins
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/four teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 3/four cup granulated sugar
- 2-Three tablespoons lemon zest about 1 lemon
- 2 giant eggs*
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-Three tablespoons lemon juice about 1 lemon
- 2/Three cup bitter cream*
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries**
- 2 teaspoons flour – if utilizing frozen berries. See recipe notes
For the Glaze
- 1 tablespoon contemporary lemon juice
- 1 – 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
Preheat the oven to 375F levels. Line a 12-cavity muffin pan with papers.
In a big bowl whisk collectively the flour, baking powder, baking soda & salt.
In a separate giant bowl beat collectively the butter, sugar, and lemon zest till fluffy (about 2-Three minutes).
Beat within the eggs 1 at a time.
Beat within the vanilla extract and lemon juice.
With the mixer on low pace, beat in about 1/2 of the bitter cream adopted by about 1/2 of the flour combination. Beat in the remainder of the bitter cream. Then flip the mixer off and punctiliously fold in the remainder of the flour utilizing a rubber spatula or picket spoon. ***
If utilizing frozen berries, in a separate bowl toss the berries with 2 teaspoons of flour.
Gently fold the berries into the muffin batter utilizing a rubber spatula.
Spoon the batter into the ready muffin pan, filling every muffin to the highest. You may find yourself with 12-14 muffins complete.
Bake within the preheated oven for 17-20 minutes, or till the tops are golden and an inserted toothpick comes out clear or with blueberry juice (not muffin batter).
Cool within the pan for 10 minutes, then switch to a wire rack and proceed cooling.
In a small bowl whisk collectively the lemon juice and icing sugar.
Drizzle the glaze over the cooled muffins.