These incredibly delicious apple dumplings were drizzled with dessert, flaky and a delicious syrup. Serve with a scoop of ice cream for a real relaxation experience.
This apple dough bomb! I’d barely wait to get them out of the oven and sink my teeth, I don’t have to wait to take pictures! Torture was done, pure torture!
But now everything in the world is beautiful again. I drank my apple pie with a wonderful vanilla ice cream and now I’m calm again. What can I say? I love my desserts and apple dumplings are my weaknesses, so I can’t do them often.
For The Crust
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 10 tbsp butter unsalted, cold and cut into cubes
- 8 tbsp shortening cold and cut into cubes
- 6 tbsp ice water or more as needed
For Brown Sugar Syrup
- 1 cup water
- 2 tbsp lemon juice freshly squeezed
- 1 cup brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 4 medium apples peeled, cut half in and cored
- 2 tbsp butter unsalted, cut into 8 pieces
- 3 tbsp brown sugar packed
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- Start by making the crust. Add the flour, salt, butter, shortening to the bowl of your mixer and mix to incorporate. Start adding a little bit of water at a time, and keep adding until the dough starts to come together.
- Dump the dough onto your work surface and divide it into 2 pieces. Wrap each piece of dough in plastic wrap then refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- To make the brown sugar syrup, add all the syrup ingredients together in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Turn the heat down to a simmer and let the syrup reduce to about half, should take about 8 to 10 minutes.
- In the meantime prepare the apples. Peel the apples, cut them in half and remove the core.
- In a small bowl mix together the 3 tbsp of brown sugar with 1 tsp of cinnamon.
- Take 2 tablespoons of butter, cut it into 8 small pieces and roll each piece in the sugar cinnamon mixture. Place each butter piece in the center of each apple.
- Preheat your oven to 425 F degrees.
- On a floured surface, roll out one of the pieces of crust and cut it out into 4 pieces. Each piece of has to be big enough to folder over the apple completely.
- Fold the crust over the apples, use a bit of water if necessary to wet your finger and run it along the edge of the crust. Pinch off any excess dough.
- Pour about a ladle of the brown sugar syrup into the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish. Place the apple dumplings in the baking dish and pour the remaining syrup over the apples.
- Bake for about 40 minutes or until the apple dumplings are golden brown.
- Let the dumplings cool for about 5 minutes before serving.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.