This Greek lemon chicken dish is made entirely in a pan and is completely filled with classic Greek flavors!
This easy Greek lemon chicken and rice are all made in a pan and you won’t believe how incredible it is!
HOW TO MAKE GREEK LEMON CHICKEN AND RICE
- Marinate the chicken first. It gives the best flavor per night, but even if you forget and have only 10-15 minutes… it still gives extra flavor!
- It is very important to cut the chicken first. It not only provides a beautiful golden color on chicken thighs, but also gives the skin a wonderful crunchy texture. It also gives some chicken oil, which is perfect for cooking onions!
- If you don’t have a tight-fitting cap, don’t worry. Cover the pan with foil and it works fine.
- 2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried minced onion
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- zest of 1 lemon
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1-2 Tbsp olive oil to make a loose paste
- 5 bone-in, skin on chicken thighs
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 large yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 1 cup dry long-grain white rice (NOT minute or quick cooking varieties)
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 1/4 tsp dried oregano
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- lemon slices, optional
- fresh minced parsley, for garnish
- extra lemon zest, for garnish
- In a large resealable plastic bag, add all marinade ingredients (except chicken), and massage to combine. Add chicken thighs and turn/massage to coat. Refrigerate 15 minutes up to overnight.
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees.
- Add 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil to large cast iron or heavy oven safe skillet, and heat over MED-HIGH heat. Shake off excess marinade from chicken thighs and add chicken thighs, skin side down, to pan. Cook 4-5 minutes per side. Remove to plate and wipe skillet lightly with a paper towel to remove any blackened bits, reserving chicken grease in pan.
- Reduce heat to MED and add onion to pan. Cook 3-4 minutes, until softened and slightly charred. Add garlic and cook 1 minute. Add rice, oregano, salt and pepper. Stir together and cook 1 minute.
- Pour in chicken stock, raise temperature to MED-HIGH and bring to a simmer. Once simmering, nestle chicken thighs on top of the rice mixture.
- Cover with lid or foil, and bake 35 minutes. Uncover, return to oven and bake an additional 10-15 minutes, until liquid is removed, rice is tender, and chicken is cooked through.
- Garnish as desired and serve.
To make using boneless skinless chicken breasts, add chicken to the pan 15 minutes into the covered baking time, then continue as directed. Chicken breasts won’t need as long to cook, and this ensures that they won’t dry out too much.