Creamy Lemon Garlic Chicken
With simple ingredients and half of the normal creamy sauces, this lemon chicken is crisp and soft, so it’s full of garlic and rustic flavors and you’re guaranteed to cut your socks.
Lemon. Garlic. Sweet red pepper. Thyme (even parsley). Cream. Everyone loves this one pan chicken dish ready in 20 minutes!
- 6 chicken thigh cutlets (skin on and bone in)* See Notes
- 2 tablespoons butter (or olive oil)
- 1 onion , finely chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic , minced
- 6 cloves garlic , crushed with the back of a knife (not minced)
- 2 teaspoons sweet paprika
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper (or cracked pepper – optional)
- 3/4 cup chicken stock (or broth)
- 1/2 cup cream (thickened/heavy cream or coconut cream may be used)
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- salt to season
- 4 fresh sprigs of thyme (or 1 teaspoon dried thyme is fine)
- Lemon wedges to serve
- Wash chicken cutlets and thoroughly pat dry with paper towel. Season with salt. Melt the butter in a large oven-proof frying pan (or skillet) on medium heat. Place the chicken cutlets, skin side down, and fry until golden and crisp (place a lid on the frying pan to avoid the fat from the chicken spitting all over the stove). Turn chicken and continue to fry until browned. Take off the heat; transfer chicken onto a plate and drain most of the fat from the pan (leave about 2 tablespoons of the oil for flavour).
- Return the pan to the stove and reduce heat to low. Add the chopped onion, minced and crushed garlic, paprika and lemon pepper (if using) to the oil left in the pan, occasionally stirring until garlic is fragrant and onion is transparent. Season with salt to taste and add in the thyme.
- At this point, preheat your oven to grill/broil setting on medium heat.
- Pour in the stock/broth, cream and lemon juice and bring to a slow simmer. Return the chicken back into the pan; cover with lid and allow to simmer gently in the sauce for a further 10 minutes, or until cooked through.
- Place the pan into the oven and allow the skin to crisp up (it takes about 5 minutes).
- Serve with lemon wedges or slices and fresh sprigs of Thyme.