double chocolate pancakes
Also known as a Birthday Cake for Breakfast. Chocolate Chocolate makes for the best breakfast in the world. And muffins!
Yesterday was my birthday and all I wanted was an excuse to eat super fluffy chocolate brownie cake for breakfast without cooking time, drizzled with a little more chocolate sauce. I mean, who wouldn’t want it?
The best part of them is that they provide a “eat while cooking” (if you’re something like me) type of situation before giving them a chance to hit the plates.
And to make them healthy — I served them with fresh berries.
See? I can be healthy.
And all over the sides
- 1 cup self raising flour (or plain/all purpose or spelt flour/s are fine)
- 1/2 cup wholemeal | whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 tablespoons cup raw sugar (or your natural sweetener of choice)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (2 teaspoons if using plain/all purpose flour/s)
- (1/2 teaspoon baking soda if using plain/all purpose flour/s)
- Pinch of salt
- 4 tablespoons light butter , melted (or oil of choice)
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups low fat/skim milk (or almond milk)
- 1/4 cup dark or milk chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips of choice (I used dark chocolate)
- 3 tablespoons low fat/skim milk (or almond milk)
- Combine the flour, cocoa powder, sugar (or sweetener), baking powder (and baking soda if using) and salt together in a mixing bowl. Pour in the butter (or oil), vanilla and milk. Whisk until combined. Fold through chocolate chips.
- Heat a nonstick pan over low-medium heat with cooking oil spray. Pour 1/4 cup of batter per pancake into the pan and cook until the surface starts to bubble and the bottom is set. Flip and cook until done. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Melt the chocolate in a microwave or over stove top (use your preferred method). Stir with a fork until lump free and evenly melted. Add the milk and whisk until smooth, combined and a creamy sauce has formed.
- To serve, dust with a little icing or confectioners sugar, and drizzle with the chocolate ganache.