Tender and juicy Sun Dried Tomato Cheese Meatballs (Low Carb) are fried in sun-dried tomato pieces, garlic and spiked with fresh herbs, and thus cooked in a simple tomato sauce. All in one pan!
- 500 g beef mince
- 500 g pork mince (or use extra beef mince)
- 1 egg , lightly whisked
- 1/2 cup almond flour (or 1/3 cup breadcrumbs if not following low carb)
- 150 g semi-dried tomatoes , drained and oil reserved
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 cloves garlic , crushed
- 4 table spoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped oregano
- 1 tablespoon fresh chopped basil
- 1 tablespoon oil
- Salt to taste (about 1 tablespoon) and pepper
- reserved Sun Dried Tomato oil
- 2 x 420g jars tomato pasta sauce (or tomato soup)
- 180 g large bocconcini balls (6 large balls the size of golf balls), sliced
- Combine mince, egg and almond flour, tomatoes drained of oil (reserve oil), cheese, garlic, paste, oregano and basil in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Shape into 12 meatballs (I used full palm sized meat mixture).
- Heat oil in a non stick oven proof pan or cast iron skillet over medium heat. Cook meatballs, in batches for 3 to 4 minutes while occasionally turning to brown on all sides.
- Heat reserved semi-dried tomatoes oil in pan. Add the tomato sauce (or soup). Cook, stirring, for 2 minutes.
- Return meatballs to pan; bring to the boil; reduce heat to low and allow to simmer, covered for 15-20 minutes or until meatballs have cooked through and sauce has thickened.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to grill (or broil) settings on medium heat halfway through cooking time. When meatballs are ready, arrange the bocconcini slices over the meatballs and place pan into the oven. Grill/broil until cheese has melted.