Pumpkin peanut butter oat breakfast bars, perfect for breakfast on the go or for quick healthy snack foods, enjoying a healthy fall.
- 3 cups (297 grams) old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup (28 grams) white whole wheat or all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup (53 grams) packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1 tablespoon flaxseed optional
- 1/4 cup (67 grams) peanut butter
- 1 cup (269 grams) pure pumpkin puree
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup (85 grams) honey
- 2 tablespoons milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup (42 grams) mini chocolate chips
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (180 C). Line a 9×9-inch square baking pan with parchment paper, or coat lightly with non-stick cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine the oats, flour, brown sugar, baking powder, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and flaxseed, if using; stir briefly to blend.
- In a separate medium bowl, combine the peanut butter, pumpkin, eggs, honey, milk, and vanilla extract; whisk until smooth.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture into the bowl with the dry ingredients, and stir just until evenly combined; do not overmix. Add chocolate chips, and fold gently to combine.
- Press the mixture into the prepared pan, and sprinkle additional chocolate chips on top, if desired. Bake for 20-25 minutes, until the middle is set and the top is lightly browned. Remove to a wire rack and let cool to room temperature before slicing into bars.
- Serve at room temperature, or warmed for 10 seconds in the microwave. Bars can be stored at room temperature for 2-3 days, in the fridge for up to 1 week, or in the freezer for 2-3 months.