Instant Pot Turkey Breast – A tender, succulent and delicious turkey breast prepared in 30 minutes in Instant Pot! The turkey was juicy and perfectly cooked in a very short time. Use these delicious dripping juices to make a great sauce.
FOR THE TURKEY BREAST
- 4 pound boneless turkey breast, completely thawed
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon chopped poultry fresh herb mix; rosemary, sage, and thyme
- 1 tablespoon sweet or smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder, or to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 whole garlic head, cut in half, crosswise (optional)
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme, optional
FOR THE GRAVY
- turkey drippings
- chicken broth
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
FOR THE TURKEY BREAST
- Drizzle a little olive oil over the turkey breast and rub it all around; set aside.
- Combine herbs, paprika, garlic powder, salt, pepper, chili powder, and onion powder in a small mixing bowl; generously season turkey breast with the seasoning blend, rubbing it all around.
- Set Instant Pot to SAUTÉ; add remaining olive oil to the instant pot and heat it up.
- Add turkey breast to the Instant Pot and sear on all sides; about 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Remove turkey breast from Instant Pot and set aside.
- Add a cup of chicken broth to the Instant Pot and scrape up all the browned pieces with a wooden spoon.
- Add halved head of garlic to the chicken broth, as well as the sprigs of fresh thyme.
- Add the Instant Pot’s trivet or wire rack to the IP, and place the turkey breast on top.
- Close the lid and follow the manufacturer’s guide for instructions on how to seal it closed.
- Set your IP to the MANUAL setting and set timer for 25 minutes on High Pressure.
- Let pressure release naturally (NPR) for 10 minutes before releasing the rest of the pressure.
- Set your oven BROILER on HIGH.
- Remove the lid from the instant pot. Take the turkey breast to a roasting pan or baking dish and let stand 5 minutes.
- Then, put the roasting pan in the oven and BROIL for 6 to 8 minutes, or until browned on top. Watch it closely so it doesn’t burn.
- Transfer turkey breast to a cutting board and tent with foil; let rest for 15 minutes before cutting. If there’s butcher twine/net around the turkey breast, remove it before slicing.
- In the meantime, prepare the gravy inside the Instant Pot.
FOR THE GRAVY
- Take the turkey drippings from the Instant Pot and pour into a measuring cup through a mesh sieve; discard all the large pieces and only keep the liquid. Add chicken broth to the turkey drippings to make 2 cups of liquid.
- Return the inner pot to the pressure cooker and set to SAUTÉ.
- Add butter, melt, and whisk in flour; cook for 1 minute, while constantly stirring.
- Whisk in the liquid; continue to whisk and cook until gravy is thickened and smooth; about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Taste for seasonings and adjust accordingly.
- Transfer gravy to a gravy boat and serve with sliced turkey.
SLOW COOKER OPTION:
- Place seasoned turkey breast in the slow cooker; cover and cook on low for 5 to 6 hours.
- Using a meat thermometer, check for doneness; thermometer should read 160˚F.
- For crispy browned skin, broil in the oven for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Remove from oven and let stand 15 minutes before cutting.
If you would like to cook a larger turkey breast, the general rule of thumb for cooking poultry in the Instant Pot is 6 minutes per pound with a 10 minute Natural Pressure Release (NPR).