This classic pecan pie recipe is a must for Thanksgiving dessert. This traditional fall cake is easy to make and is perfect for serving friends and family during the holidays.
HOW TO MAKE THIS CLASSIC PECAN PIE RECIPE
Preheat the oven and turn on your pastry dough – you can use the purchased or homemade store. Press the dough into your cake plate, cut the edges and cook. Let the shell cool down and scrub with a little scrambled egg.
To make the filling, melt the butter in a saucepan and add the candies and corn syrup, boil and allow to cool.
Beat the eggs in another bowl and add a portion of the sugar mixture and whisk. Transfer to the pot and add vanilla, salt and walnuts. Pour into the shell and cook.
Allow to cool before serving.
- 1 pie crust for deep dish pie homemade or store bought
- 1 large egg lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 cup plus 2 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- 4 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ teaspoon table salt
- 2 cups chopped pecans
FOR THE CRUST:
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Roll dough into a 14-inch diameter circle and press it into the pie plate. Trim the crust, leaving 1-inch around the edges and reserve the dough scraps. Fold the dough edges under and crimp the edges to your liking.
- Bake the crust 4 minutes or just until the crust is set. Transfer to a wire rack and cool 3 minutes. Use leftover scraps to cover any cracks in the crust (hopefully, there aren’t any). Cool the crust 30 minutes and brush lightly with one beaten egg.
- Reduce the oven temperature to 350°F.
FOR THE FILLING:
- Be sure oven temperature is set to 350°F and the oven rack is adjusted to the middle position.
- Melt the butter in a medium saucepan set over medium heat.
- Add sugars and cook (stirring often) until mixture starts bubbling about 3-4 minutes. Add corn syrup and cook (stirring often) until mixture comes to a boil, about 3-4 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and cool 5 minutes.
- Add the eggs to a medium heatproof bowl and whisk lightly. Pour 1 cup of the slightly cooled sugar mixture into a heatproof measuring cup.
- Very slowly whisk the 1 cup sugar mixture into the beaten eggs then very slowly whisk the beaten egg/sugar mixture back into the hot sugar mixture in the saucepan. Quickly whisk the mixture until thoroughly incorporated.
- Add vanilla and salt and whisk to incorporate.
- Add the pecans and stir well.
- Pour the filling into the cooled crust and bake at 350°F for 30 minutes. If the crust is browning too quickly, cover the pie crust edge with a pie crust shield or foil.
- Bake an additional 20-30 minutes or until the pie is almost set in the middle. The pie should be barely jiggly in the middle.
- Transfer the pie to a cooling rack to cool completely before serving, at least 3 hours.
- Serve with a scoop of ice cream or lightly sweetened whipped cream.