This super moist carrot cake recipe made from scratch is perfect for Easter or anytime of the year. Made with a can of crushed pineapple which makes it very moist, without adding a ton of fat.
Recently, we were asked if carrots were really carrot cake. Answer Yes! Hence the name! This cake also gives coconut cereals and pineapple with tons of moisture and taste.
It is 3 inches deep because you cooked it in a 8 inch round pan but you can use a pack of cake pans or 13 x 9 inches (the cooking time will change). Most of the carrot cake recipes are lighter because they have much smaller service sizes, but I think this is the easiest way to divide into 16 equal tranches.
If you want to prevent the cream cheese from freezing, the score is 5 per slice.
Super Moist Carrot Cake With Cream Cheese Icing
Here’s a super moist, low fat carrot cake recipe perfect for Easter or anytime of the year. This is made with a can of crushed pineapple which makes it very moist.
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 cups grated carrots, peeled
- 20 ounce can crushed pineapple in juice, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts plus 1/4 cup for topping
For the Cream Cheese Frosting:
- 8 oz 1/3 fat Philadelphia Cream Cheese
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a large bowl, combine flour, sugar, coconut, baking soda, salt, and spices; stir well with a whisk.
- In a medium bowl, combine oil, eggs, and vanilla; stir well.
- Add grated carrots and pineapple; mix well.
- Fold wet ingredients with the dry ingredients, batter will be stiff and dry but keep folding it and it will all come together. Fold in 1/4 cup chopped nuts.
- Spoon batter into an 8″ x 3″ cake pan coated with cooking spray.
- Bake at 350° for about 40-50 minutes, depending on pan size or until a wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean and cake is pulling away from sides of pan. Cool cake completely on a wire rack.
- To prepare frosting, beat together cream cheese, powdered sugar and vanilla until smooth. Spread frosting over top of cake.
- Garnish with remaining chopped walnuts.
Yield: 16 servings, Serving Size: 1 slice
- Amount Per Serving:
- Freestyle Points: 7
- Points +: 6
- Calories: 216 calories
- Total Fat: 8g
- Saturated Fat: 2.5g
- Cholesterol: 33mg
- Sodium: 392mg
- Carbohydrates: 32g
- Fiber: 2g
- Sugar: 22g
- Protein: 4g