I tried to think of something bad to say about this recipe . but I haven’t found anything yet! Everything from seasoned roasted chicken to tender autumn vegetables, from sweet balsamic glazes to crisp toasts. Winner, winner, chicken dinner and all that jazz. That’s it!
Start by preheating the oven to 375 ° C.
- 1 Tablespoon Fresh Thyme Leaves
- 2 sprigs Rosemary
- 6 whole Sage Leaves, Plus More For Garnish
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cumin
- 2 teaspoons Kosher Salt, Plus More For Seasoning The Chicken
- Black Pepper, For Seasoning The Chicken
- 1 teaspoon Smoked Paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon Chili Powder
- 6 whole Bone-In, Skin-On Chicken Thighs
- 2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
- 12 cloves Garlic, Peeled
- 1 whole Large Red Onion, Peeled And Cut Into Chunks
- 3 cups Peeled And Cubed Butternut Squash
- 2 cups Cauliflower Florets
- 2 cups Halved Brussels Sprouts
- 1/4 cup Red Wine Or Chicken Broth
- Balsamic Glaze, For Serving
- Pomegranate Seeds, For Serving
- Sliced Artisan Bread
- Butter (for Grilling)
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees. Chop the thyme, rosemary leaves, and sage together. Set aside.
- Mix the cumin, salt, paprika, and chili powder in a small bowl. Season all sides of the chicken with salt and pepper, then rub the spice mixture all over the chicken. Heat a large cast iron skillet over medium heat and add the olive oil. Place the chicken thighs in the skillet skin side down, and brown until golden, about 4 minutes, moving around with tongs to make sure the skin doesn’t stick to the skillet. Turn and brown the other side for about 2 minutes. Remove the chicken to a plate.
- Pour off any excess grease, but do not clean the skillet. Add the garlic cloves and stir them around for about 2 minutes, to start them browning (be careful not to burn them). Add the onions and chopped herbs, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes, stirring continually to keep everything from burning. Add the butternut squash, cauliflower and Brussels sprouts. Season with a pinch of salt and pepper. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes, or until the veggies get some nice color around the edges. Pour in the wine and stir.
- Nestle the chicken thighs into the vegetables, skin side up. Put the skillet in the oven and bake until the chicken is cooked through and the vegetable are tender, about 25 minutes. While the skillet is in the oven, toast some bread slices in a skillet with butter over medium-low heat until golden and crisp.
- Remove the chicken and veggies from the oven. Serve up plates of chicken and veggies, spoon over a little of the pan juices, then drizzle on balsamic glaze and sprinkle some pomegranate seeds. Garnish with extra sage leaves. Serve with the toasted bread.