Mozzarella chicken is a simple weekday dinner recipe! Chicken meat contains homemade tomato sauce and melted mozzarella cheese – ready in just 30 minutes!
I think this week is very nice when we started with a simple mozzarella chicken recipe for you to try. And the best part is counting, 123456789… just 30 minutes of 10 ingredients and eating at the table.
- 4 small chicken breasts
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 1 (14 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- ½ teaspoon EACH Italian seasoning AND red pepper flakes (see notes)
- ¼ teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon sun-dried tomato pesto (homemade or store-bought) (see notes)
- salt and pepper + ¼ cup water
- 4 slices mozzarella cheese (or 1 cup shredded)
- chopped parsley or basil + pasta or crusty bread
- CHICKEN: Sprinkle the chicken with a pinch of salt and pepper on both sides. Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat with the olive oil. Add the chicken to the skillet and cook for about 3-5 minutes per side or until the chicken is completely cooked through, remove to a plate. If you are planning on serving this with pasta, get the water going and cook the pasta according to package directions.
- TOMATO SAUCE: Preheat the oven on the broiler setting. Add the onions to the oil remaining in the pan. If there isn’t any, add in about ½ teaspoon and sauté the onion for 2-3 minutes until the soften, add the garlic and let cook for 30 seconds. Add the crushed tomatoes, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, dried basil, and pesto and stir to combine. When the sauce reaches a simmer, add a ¼ cup of water, lower the heat, cover and allow to simmer for 10-12 minutes or until the sauce thickens a bit. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- ASSEMBLE: Nestle the chicken breasts into the sauce and using a spoon, cover the chicken with sauce. Top each breast with a slice of cheese. Place under the broiler for 1-2 minutes or until the cheese gets nice and bubbly and just melts. Top with chopped parsley or basil ribbons. Serve with pasta or crusty bread and a salad.
- Though I do recommend using sun-dried tomato pesto for this recipe as it really enhances the flavor of the sauce and makes it taste like it was simmered all day, basil pesto will also work in the recipe.
- Also, you can use more or less red pepper flakes to taste. Omit for a milder sauce.