The easiest and most delicious cooked barbecue chicken. This is basically a tenderly cooked chicken breast placed in barbecue sauce and stuffed with melted cheese, sliced red onions and pickled jalapeños. It takes about 30 minutes for my cooked barbecue chicken to be thrown together, making it ideal for weekday dinners!
- 1 ⅓ pound boneless, skinless chicken breasts (see notes)
- 1 cup EACH: bbq sauce AND shredded cheese (see notes)
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ⅓ cup red onion, thinly sliced
- 10-12 sliced pickled jalapeños
- chopped cilantro, for serving
- PREP: Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 375ºF. Spray a 9×11 baking dish (or larger) with baking spray. In a bowl, add the bbq sauce and garlic powder and stir to combine, add the chicken breasts and stir so the chicken is evenly covered in the sauce. If you have time, you can allow it to marinate for an hour, if not, you can proceed immediately. Place the chicken breasts slide by side and pour any remaining bbq sauce over the chicken.
- BAKE: the chicken for 20 minutes, uncovered. Remove the chicken from the oven. Add the shredded cheese over the chicken breasts, sprinkle with red onions and jalapeños. Place the baking dish back in the oven and continue baking for another 5-10 minutes or until the cheese melts and the chicken cooks all the way through. Using an instant read thermometer, make sure the chicken temperature reads 165ºF. If it doesn’t, continue cooking for an additional 1-5 minutes.
- SERVE: Top with the chopped cilantro and serve immediately.
- I used a total of 1 1/3 pound of chicken. I had two huge chicken breasts so I split them lengthwise to make 4 pieces. Please keep in mind that baking time will vary based on the size of the chicken breasts you use.
- I like to use applewood smoked mozzarella for this recipe, however regular mozzarella, pepper jack, or even a cheddar blend would work here. Just something that melts well!