BBQ Apricot Chicken – A delicious and juicy chicken thigh prepared in sweet apricot and barbecue sauce glaze. The taste of this dish was absolutely wonderful and very easy to beat together. Your family will love this one-pot summer dinner favorite.
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 6 to 8 small apricots, cut in half and seeds removed
- 6 skinless, bone-in chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon chicken seasoning blend, use more if you like, or less
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup low sodium chicken broth, (you can also use apple juice or apricot juice)
- 2 tablespoons apricot preserves (try using sugar-free apricot preserves)
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- sliced green onions, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375˚F.
- Heat 1 tablespoon vegetable oil in a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat.
- Add the apricots to the hot oil and cook for 1 minute per side.
- Remove apricots from skillet and set aside.
- In the meantime, rub the seasoning all over the chicken thighs.
- Add remaining vegetable oil to the same skillet and set over medium heat.
- Add chicken thighs to the hot skillet and cook for 5 minutes per side. You may have to cook the chicken thighs in batches if they don’t all fit in your skillet. Please don’t crowd the pan.
- Remove chicken thighs from the skillet and set aside.
- Return skillet to heat and turn down to LOW.
- Stir in minced garlic; cook and stir for 20 seconds.
- Carefully pour in the chicken broth and, using a whisk, scrape up all the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- Whisk in the apricot preserves; whisk until fully incorporated.
- Whisk in the barbecue sauce and cook for 1 to 2 minutes, or until slightly thickened.
- Remove from heat and add chicken thighs and apricots back into the skillet. Flip the chicken thighs and apricots around so that they are covered with the sauce.
- Loosely cover the skillet with aluminum foil and bake for 13 to 15 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Chicken is cooked when internal temperature reaches 165˚F. Use an Instant Read Thermometer to check for doneness.
- Remove from oven and let stand a few minutes.
- Spoon sauce over the chicken, garnish with green onions and serve.