Summer is right around the corner, which means we’ll be spending lots of time outdoors, enjoying hikes, bike rides and going for a swim. I can’t even tell you how excited I am that the warm weather is finally here to stay. When you spend 6 months out of the year trapped inside (Minnesota winter’s are rough), there’s nothing like soaking up the sunshine and staying outside for as long as possible. So, the fact that we hit 8o degrees last weekend had me beyond excited.
And no matter what season I find myself in, I always catch myself dreaming about food. Taking into consideration if there are any special holidays, parties or other occasions coming up. Because we’re attending quite a few of those, I quickly realized that we actually won’t be home very much this summer. Which led me to think about food that can be prepared ahead of time and what kind of snacks we should take on our trips. Granola bars and trail mix were some of the first things that came to mind. I quickly decided that I wanted to prepare some of those myself and Trail Mix Energy Bites were born.
Not only are these tiny bites adorable to look at, but they are so incredibly tasty and satisfying as well. You’ll find cereal, oats, dried blueberries, almonds, hazelnuts, pretzel pieces and chocolate chips when you bite into each one. You can substitute or change up the recipe according to your liking, of course.
I cannot wait to get on the road and enjoy a couple of these this summer. I have an inkling that I’ll be making them over and over again. They’re also perfect to take along on hikes or even to enjoy as a sweet treat during a picnic. You really can’t go wrong with these.
These are SO easy to make and are a healthy and delicious snack to have on hand!
- ½ cup old fashioned oats
- ¼ cup corn flakes
- ½ cup crispy rice cereal
- ¼ cup dried blueberries
- ¼ cup almonds
- ¼ cup hazelnuts
- ¼ cup broken pretzels
- ¼ cup semisweet chocolate chips
- ¼ cup creamy peanut butter (or any other nut butter)
- ½ cup honey
- Combine all the dry ingredients in a medium bowl and give it a good stir.
- Add peanut butter and honey and gently stir until fully incorporated. Place bowl into the fridge for 1 hour before forming into bites (this step helps to make the forming and shaping process of the balls much easier).
- Remove bowl from the fridge and shape mixture into balls (about 1 – 1½ tablespoons of mixture per ball). Return bites to the fridge until ready to serve.