This Tiramisu Tres Leches Cake combines two classics into an incredibly delicious and decadent cake. This elegant Tres Leches cake, espresso, is a really special cake topped with idyllic mascarpone topping, espresso.
- 6 large eggs seperated
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup milk
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 12 oz evaporated milk 1 can
- 14 oz sweetened condensed milk 1 can
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tbsp instant coffee (use more for a stronger coffee flavor)
- 3 tbsp rum optional
- 1 lb mascarpone cheese
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar same as icing sugar or confectioners sugar
- 3 cups cool whip (8 oz container) or whipped cream
- 1/2 cup dark chocolate shaved
- raspberries optional
- Preheat your oven to 375 F degrees. Spray a 9×13 inch baking pan with cooking spray. Set aside.
- Separate the eggs, placing the egg whites in a bowl for later. In another bowl add the egg yolks, the 2/3 cup of sugar, vanilla extract and beat with a mixer on high speed until the mixture is thick and pale. Should take about 2 minutes.
- Into another bowl whisk together the flour, salt and baking powder. Add about half the flour mixture to the egg yolk mixture and whisk until well combined. Whisk in the milk, then add the remaining flour mixture and whisk well. The cake batter will be quite thick.
- Beat the egg whites with a mixer on high speed until stiff peaks form. Add the 3 tbsp sugar and continue beating for another minute until sugar is well incorporated. Gently fold the egg whites into the cake batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared baking pan. Bake for 20 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean. Cool the cake for 10 minutes.
- While the cake is cooling, prepare the milk sauce by whisking all the milk sauce ingredients into a bowl. Use as much coffee as you like, more for a stronger coffee flavor. I used Nescafe Espresso.
- Pierce the entire of the the cake with a fork. Slowly pour the milk mixture over the entire cake, evenly. Cover the pan with plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least 3 hours to overnight.
- In another bowl prepare the topping by whisking together the mascarpone cheese with the powdered sugar until smooth. Add the cool whip or whipped cream and continue whisking until fully incorporated and smooth.
- Top the cake with the mascarpone topping and if you’d like sprinkle some shaved chocolate over the top. You can also dust it with cocoa powder instead and/or serve it up with strawberries or raspberries.
Total time does not include time to chill the cake. It all depends on how long your let it chill.
For an alcohol free version, feel free to omit the rum.
Mascarpone cheese is an Italian cream cheese coagulated by the addition of certain acidic substances such as lemon juice, or vinegar.
Refrigerate leftover cake for up to 5 to 7 days.
Freezing: Wrap tightly in plastic wrap and aluminum foil and plastic wrap to freeze for up to 2 months. Freeze without the whipped topping and prepare this step fresh when ready to eat. Allow to thaw completely in the fridge before slicing up and enjoying.
Nutrition: Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Serving: 1sliceCalories: 598kcal (30%)Carbohydrates: 66g (22%)Protein: 14g (28%)Fat: 29g (45%)Saturated Fat: 17g (106%)Cholesterol: 155mg (52%)Sodium: 202mg (9%)Potassium: 495mg (14%)Fiber: 1g (4%)Sugar: 45g (50%)Vitamin A: 885IU (18%)Vitamin C: 1.4mg (2%)Calcium: 331mg (33%)Iron: 2.5mg (14%)