Slow Cooker Chicken Marsala – Creamy, delicious, mushroom-nailed Chicken Marsala prepared on a slow cooker! This surprisingly easy recipe leads to a restaurant quality meal made in your own kitchen. Fancy enough for the company, but also a great recipe for any night of the week.
Chicken Marsala is an Italian-American dish of tender chicken breast with mushrooms in creamy Marsala wine sauce. However, the simple and classic Chicken Marsala recipe will now make the stew pot path and become your new favorite slow cooker dinner!
- 6 (1.5 pounds, total) boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika
- salt and fresh ground pepper, to taste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry marsala wine
- 1/2 cup water
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- chopped fresh parsley, for garnish
- Lightly grease a 6-quart slow cooker with cooking spray and set aside.
- Season chicken breasts all around with garlic powder, dried basil, thyme, paprika, salt, and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add prepared chicken breasts to the hot oil and cook for 3 minutes per side, or until just browned.
- Transfer chicken to slow cooker and top with mushrooms and garlic.
- Return skillet over medium-high heat and add the marsala wine; cook for 1 minute, scraping up all the browned bits from the bottom of the skillet.
- Pour wine over chicken and mushrooms.
- Close with a lid and cook on LOW for 4 to 5 hours, or on HIGH for 2 to 3 hours. Chicken is done when internal temperature reaches 165˚F.
- Remove chicken breasts from slow cooker and set aside on a plate.
- Combine water and cornstarch in a mug or a small mixing bowl and whisk until incorporated; then, whisk the slurry into the wine sauce.
- Add heavy cream to the wine sauce and whisk until combined.
- Return chicken to the slow cooker; cover with a lid and cook on HIGH for 20 minutes, or until sauce has thickened.
- Transfer chicken from slow cooker to plates; top with mushroom sauce and garnish with fresh parsley.
- If you don’t have time to brown the chicken breasts, you don’t have to, but it does help with the overall flavor.
- Try to use DRY Marsala Wine. Sweet Marsala Wine is for desserts. If you don’t want to use wine, you can use low sodium chicken broth, instead. I would also recommend chicken broth for those that are watching their calories, carbs, and/or are on a Keto diet.
- If you don’t have Marsala Wine, you can use Sherry, Madeira, Dry White Wine, or Port. Please keep in mind that using anything other than Dry Marsala Wine will alter the overall classic flavor.
- Keep leftovers refrigerated for up to 4 days.