Potato Roast Chicken is full of delicious, bright flavors that everyone will eat. Prepare one night (or two) completely in advance and put them in the oven before dinner.
This Plate Pan Roast Chicken with potato plate is filled with plenty of tasty flavor, tempered with sticky honey, plenty of spicy and bright citrus fruits.
The flavors come together beautifully.
Use chicken legs and calf for excellent precision. Please and nice please, because we love white meat, it doesn’t matter how you set it, it tends to dry in plate pan recipes.
It sticks to black meat for full eating happiness.
- For the Marinade:
- Juice and Zest from 1 large lemon
- Juice and zest from 1 sweet orange
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 8 TB pure honey
- 5 TB whole seed (or coarse ground) mustard
- 2 TB extra virgin olive oil
- 5 tsp kosher salt
- 2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- For the Chicken & Veggies:
- 4 lbs bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs and legs
- 6–7 baby potatoes, quartered
- 3 large carrots, peeled and thickly sliced
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- Garnish: freshly chopped parsley
- Prep Marinade: In a large bowl, combine all marinade ingredients and whisk together. Set aside.
- Towel-dry the chicken pieces well, so that all excess moisture is removed. Use a fork to pierce chicken pieces all over thoroughly. Place chicken in the bowl with marinade. Toss to coat well. Add potatoes, carrots, and onion; toss to coat. Cover tightly and place in fridge to marinade up to 2 nights.
- Allow chicken to come to room temp for 1 hour prior to roasting. Preheat oven to 425 with rack in middle position. Transfer chicken/veggies/marinade mixture onto a large rimmed sheet pan, ensuring everything is in an even single layer. Roast 50-60 minutes or until chicken is browned and cooked through. Serve warm.