The easiest pesto baked chicken with roasted tomatoes and melted mozzarella. A single pan recipe that comes with solid pesto with roasted tomatoes, baked chicken and mushy mozzarella cheese. Serve with cooked pasta, rice or roasted vegetables and garlic bread!
HOW TO MAKE PESTO BAKED CHICKEN
For the last 5 minutes, add the chopped mozzarella on top of the chicken. You can also make pesto baked chicken without mozzarella. Instead of throwing it under the broiler, let it remain in the oven for 5 minutes.
- 1 tablespoon EACH: olive oil AND white wine vinegar
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 ¼ pound boneless skinless chicken breasts
PESTO PAN SAUCE:
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons EACH: white wine vinegar AND melted butter
- ⅓ cup prepared basil pesto (homemade or store-bought)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons chopped basil
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- MARINATE: Add all the ingredients except the chicken breasts into a zip-top bag along with 1 teaspoon of sea salt and ½ teaspoon pepper. Seal the bag and shake until combined. Add the chicken, seal, and massage so the chicken is covered in marinade; set aside for 10-15 minutes while you prep the remaining ingredients. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- PESTO PAN SAUCE: Add all the ingredients except the cheese to an oven-safe baking dish, along with a big pinch of salt and pepper and stir to combine. Move the tomatoes around the edges and place the chicken in the center.
- BAKE: Bake uncovered for 18-25 minute (mine took 22 mins) or until the chicken is almost cooked through (how long it takes will depend on the thickness of the chicken breasts you use.) Add the cheese on top of the chicken and place the baking dish in the oven under the broiler just long enough for the cheese to melt. Top with additional chopped basil or even parsley would work. Serve with crusty bread, pasta, rice, cauli-rice or steamed veggies on the side.
- Bonus points: you can melt the butter right in your baking dish while the oven preheats. Just be sure to keep a close eye on it so the butter doesn’t brown or burn!