My husband and I are very particular about where we go out to eat. Most of the time, we choose Mexican food because it is something everyone in my family agrees upon and because we have so many different options of places to eat where we live and each offers a wide variety of truly good Mexican food.
When the idea of going out for Italian comes up, I usually opt for making in at home. Not because we don’t love Italian food, because we whole heartedly do, but rather because it is SO much cheaper to make at home… and the only Italian restaurant we really have where I live is Olive Garden. Not saying it isn’t delicious, but we tend to prefer homemade most days.
Today, I am sharing the absolute BEST lasagna recipe with you. Honestly, I have tried so many recipes out there, but my mom’s tried and true recipe always wins in the battle, hands down!
Its meaty. Its Cheesy. Its divine!
It uses three cheeses; mozzarella, ricotta and Parmesan. It also has one of the most flavorful, simple and down right tasty meat sauces you will ever find for a pasta dish.
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1½ pounds ground beef
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 Tablespoon minced garlic
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 28 ounce can petite cut tomatoes
- 1 Tablespoon oregano
- 1 Tablespoon basil
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 1 Tablespoon salt
- 9 to 12 lasagna noodles, cooked according to package
- 4 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 15 ounce container of ricotta cheese
- ½ to ¾ cup Parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Heat olive oil in a medium sauce pan over medium high heat. Add ground beef, onion and garlic and cook until meat browned and cooked through completely. Add tomato paste, petite tomatoes, oregano, basil, red pepper flakes, pepper and salt. Cook on medium heat until mixture comes to a boil. Reduce heat and and simmer for 3 minutes. Remove from heat.
- To arrange lasagna, spray a 9×13 inch baking dish with cooking spray and place three noodles on the bottom. Top the noodles with mozzarella, then place small spoonfuls of ricotta over the top of the mozzarella. Top with ⅓ of the meat sauce. Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese. Repeat layers two more times.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour.