Oven roasted chicken with cheese wrapped in prosciutto, Honeycrisp apples, roasted garlic, some crispy sage and toasted butter. All served with a delicious white wine and apple juice skillet sauce … to a good measure. It won’t be simpler, tastier or tastier than crispy prosciutto chicken. All you need is a pan, 30 minutes and fresh seasonal fall ingredients. The rice pilaf with a side and a colorful salad was great any night of the week.
- 4 chicken cutlets, or 2 boneless chicken breasts, sliced in half horizontally
- kosher salt and black pepper
- 4 teaspoons apple butter
- 1/2 cup crumbled blue cheese or 4 thin slices of gouda cheese
- 8 thin slices prosciutto
- 2 small shallots, halved
- 4 garlic cloves, smashed
- 1-2 Honeycrisp apples, cut into 10-12 wedges
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- 12 fresh sage leaves
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, such as Pinot Grigio or Sauvignon Blanc
- 1/2 cup apple cider
- 1. Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Grease an oven-safe skillet with olive oil.
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper. Spread each cutlet with 1 tsp apple butter, then top with cheese. Wrap 2 pieces of prosciutto around each cutlet. Transfer the chicken to the prepared skillet. Arrange the shallots, garlic, and apples around the chicken. Add the rosemary and thyme. Drizzle olive oil over the apples, season with salt and pepper. Transfer to the oven and roast for 15-20 minutes, until the chicken is cooked.
- Switch the oven to broil Remove the apples from the skillet to a plate. Return the chicken to the oven and broil for 1-2 minutes, until the prosciutto is crisp. WATCH CLOSELY. Remove from the oven place the chicken on the plate with the apples.
- Place the skillet with the shallots and garlic over medium heat. Add the butter and sage. Cook 1-2 minutes, until the butter is browned and the sage crisp. Remove the sage from the skillet and add to the plate with the chicken.
- To the skillet, add the wine and cider. Bring to a boil over high heat. Boil 5 minutes, until reduced by half. Slide the chicken and apples back into the skillet, simmer 1 minute. Remove from the heat.
- Serve the chicken topped with apples. Drizzle over any pan sauce. Top with fried sage. Serve along side rice pilaf. Enjoy!