Cheesy, garlicky, flavor loaded mashed cauliflower prepared in the Instant Pot! This is the perfect, most delicious low-carb swap for mashed potatoes!
Instant Pot Mashed Cauliflower is super quick to make, it’s also very tasty, and a much healthier alternative to potatoes.
I won’t say that mashed cauliflower tastes JUST like my Country Style Garlic Mashed Potatoes, BUT the texture is pretty much spot on and it is delicious! Besides, when you add on all the wonderful toppings – bacon makes it all better – you will forget that you’re eating veggies and not taters.
This is also the fastest side dish you’ll ever make. I think?! The cauliflower takes like 3 minutes to cook in the Instant Pot.
HOW DO YOU MAKE MASHED CAULIFLOWER IN THE INSTANT POT?
- Set the steamer basket inside the Instant Pot. (I don’t always use the steamer basket, so I can definitely tell you that it works even without it)
- Break up the cauliflower into florets and transfer to the basket inside the Instant Pot.
- Cook the cauliflower for 3 minutes with water or chicken stock.
- When the cauliflower is done cooking, drain out all of the liquid.
- Transfer the cauliflower to a food processor or blender; add a bit of butter, some sour cream, and your choice of seasonings.
- Process until it starts to resemble mashed potatoes – this will take just seconds. You can also use a masher, though the mixture won’t be as creamy.
HOW DO YOU MAKE LOADED MASHED CAULIFLOWER?
- While the cauliflower is cooking in the instant pot, fry up some bacon and crumble it. Also prepare your shredded cheese and slice up some green onions.
- When the cauliflower is done, drain and transfer it to a blender or food processor. Add butter, sour cream, dry mustard, chili powder, salt and pepper; process until the mixture starts to resemble mashed potatoes.
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Put the mashed cauliflower in a baking dish; top with shredded cheese and crumbled bacon.
- Bake for 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Garnish with green onions and serve.
Surprisingly, even my pickiest eater enjoyed this loaded mashed cauliflower and she didn’t (and still doesn’t) know that it wasn’t potatoes… #mommywins!
Incredibly tasty, yet healthier, this twist on the favorite classic is the best we’ve had. It’s also great without the cheese and bacon, but it’s better with it. Keepin’ it real.
- 1large head cauliflower, core removed and roughly cut into florets
- 1 1/2cups water, you can also use chicken broth
- 1clove garlic
- 1/2tablespoon butter
- 1tablespoon sour cream
- 1/4teaspoon dry mustard powder, (optional)
- 1/4teaspoon chili powder, or to taste (optional)
- salt and fresh ground pepper,to taste
- 3/4cup fat free shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 4slices low sodium thick cut bacon, cooked to a crisp and diced
- 2green onions, sliced, for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375F.
- Place steamer basket inside your Instant Pot.
- Transfer prepared cauliflower to the basket inside the Instant Pot.
- Close the lid and set the valve to sealing.
- Set on manual setting and cook on high pressure for 3 minutes.
- Use the quick release function to release the pressure.
- Drain out all of the liquid and transfer the cauliflower to a food processor or blender.
- Add garlic, butter, sour cream, dry mustard, chili powder, salt, and pepper to the blender; process until blended and creamy. I recommend using the pulse function because you have more control over how creamy or chunky you want your mashed cauliflower.
- Transfer the cauliflower mixture to a baking dish.
- Top with cheeses and prepared bacon; bake for 5 minutes, or until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle green onions over the top.