Placing leftover inexperienced tomatoes to good use with a recipe for crisp, savory fried inexperienced tomatoes topped with garlicky sautéed shrimp and a brilliant easy remoulade.
I’m usually detest to place a untimely finish to my backyard tomatoes, and depart them up till the primary frosts threaten in early November. However this yr, with countless rain and only a few sunny days, tomatoes got here in late and petered out early – which suggests we’ve had loads of inexperienced tomatoes, each in my backyard and CSA share. And now, tomato season is definitively over.
With so many inexperienced tomatoes readily available, I had little selection however to good my fried inexperienced tomato recreation. Stepping into, I’d assumed that fried inexperienced tomatoes centered on rendering inedible inexperienced tomatoes palatable. The recipe definitely accomplishes this. Alongside the way in which, I’ve come to like the flavour of inexperienced tomatoes. They’re punchy and acidic, and similar to their ripe counterparts, the flavour blooms superbly with a beneficiant pinch of sea salt.
A observe on the recipe: inexperienced tomatoes will ultimately ripen on the countertop, although they’ll lack the depth of a vine-ripened specimen. For this recipe, tomatoes may be purple or inexperienced, however you’ll need to make certain they’re nonetheless fairly agency. I’ve discovered my favourite taste comes from inexperienced tomatoes with only a flush of purple – they’ve a pleasant mixture of tang and sweetness.
1/2 cup mayonnaise (I prefer Duke’s)
- 2 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons prepared horseradish
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons minced parsley,
- 2 tablespoons minced chives
- sea salt to taste
- 6 medium-sized green tomatoes, cored and sliced 1/2-inch thick
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper, divided
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 cup finely ground yellow cornmeal
- 1 ounce finely grated Parmesan (about 1 cup grated)
- 2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- canola oil for frying
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound shrimp, peeled and deveined
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- sea salt
- 1 tablespoon minced parsley, plus more for serving
- 4 lime wedges, for serving