Most easily cooked with garlic butter tomatoes and mozzarella cheese. A single pan recipe that comes with roasted sweet balsamic tomato, chicken cooked with melted mozzarella and quinoa, rice, pasta or the most wonderful sauce for your vegetables!
We have to discuss garlic – balsamic – buttered tomatoes. It’s a little out of control right now because we’re not even in peak tomato season yet and I can’t stop, it won’t end with the chicken recipe baked with tomatoes. And yes, this is the first of many tomato basil balsamic sauce I will make. And that brings me to a critical point that I want to discuss; not actually a sauce. But more like tomato pan sauce?
- 1 tablespoons EACH: olive oil and white wine vinegar
- 3 cloves minced garlic
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
BALSAMIC TOMATO PAN SAUCE:
- 3 cups cherry tomatoes, halved
- 2 tablespoons EACH: balsamic vinegar and melted butter
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 2 tablespoons chopped basil
- ½ teaspoon EACH: onion powder and dried thyme
- 1- 1½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- MARINATE: Add all the ingredients except the chicken breasts into a zip top bag along with 1 teaspoon of salt and ½ teaspoon black pepper. Seal the bag and shake until mixed. Add the chicken breasts, seal, and massage so the chicken is covered in the marinade, set aside for 10-15 minutes while you prep the remaining ingredients. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- BALSAMIC TOMATO PAN SAUCE: Add all the ingredients except the mozzarella to an oven-safe baking dish, along with a big pinch of salt and pepper, and stir to combine. Move the tomatoes around the edges and place the chicken breasts in the center.
- BAKE: Bake uncovered for 18-22 minutes or until the chicken is almost cooked through. Add the mozzarella cheese to the chicken breasts and broil just long enough for the cheese to melt. Top with additional chopped basil or parsley and serve warm with crusty bread, pasta, rice, or steamed veggies!
- Extra points for being lazy: you can melt the butter right in your baking dish before adding the remaining ingredients (as long as it is microwave safe!)
- I suggest shredding your own mozzarella for this recipe. Pre-shredded mozzarella didn’t yield such great results for me, unfortunately!
- You can marinate the chicken for up to 4 hours! Feel free to do this earlier in the day if you’d like.