Thank goodness for amazing shortcuts! This Simple Chicken Enchiladas Recipe is fast, flavorful and satisfying, and I wager you’re going to adore it as a lot as we do.
Actually, I most likely spent extra time getting ready the toppings than I did making your complete casserole. Begin to end it takes about 20 minutes to place it collectively and cooks up in a tremendous 15 minutes. That makes this layered casserole a fairly terrific, flavorful weeknight meal. This time of 12 months it appears I all the time have an excessive amount of to do. Recently I’ve spent lots of time within the kitchen baking up goodies for items, gatherings, household extravaganzas and workplace events. In any case that I don’t wish to spend hours on dinner too. Simple Chicken Enchiladas Recipe to the rescue!
For the enchiladas:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 5 or 6 ounces baby spinach leaves or chopped kale
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 cups shredded or diced cooked chicken breast
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 (16-ounce) jar red enchilada sauce
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1 – 3 chipotles in adobo sauce, minced (more or less to taste)
- 12 corn tortillas
- 1 cup onion, diced
- 2 cups 8 ounces shredded Mexican blend cheese
Ideas for optional toppings:
- Shredded lettuce
- Sliced jalapeños
- Diced red onion
- Lime wedges
- Sliced or cubed avocado
- Cilantro leaves
- Sour Cream
- More cheese!
- Preheat oven to 450F.
- Add the olive oil to a large oven-proof skillet over medium-high heat. Once shimmering, add the spinach and 2 tablespoons water. Cook stirring frequently until the spinach is wilted. Add the chicken, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir gently until combined and heated through. Transfer the mixture to a large bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium bowl whisk together the enchilada sauce, sour cream and the minced chipotle peppers. Spoon about 3/4 cup of the sauce into the bottom of the now empty skillet. Layer 4 tortillas over the sauce, overlapping the edges to cover the bottom of the skillet.
- Top the tortillas with half the chicken and spinach mixture. Sprinkle with 1/3 of the onions and 1/3 of the cheese.
- Spoon half the remaining sauce over the casserole, then repeat with 4 more tortillas, the remaining chicken mixture, half the remaining onion and half the remaining cheese.
- Top with the last 4 tortillas, all the remaining sauce, then the onions and cheese.
- Bake the casserole until hot and bubbling, about 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle with red onion, jalapeños and other desired toppings before serving.