Guinness Braised Short Ribs are melting in your mouth, hearty, super comfortable and incredibly tasty, hard, slow cooked, gravy and plenty of fresh herbs. They really like bone falling!
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
- 1/4 tsp pepper or to taste
- 4 lb beef short ribs
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1 large carrot chopped
- 2 stalks celery chopped
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 440 ml Guinness stout (1 can)
- 2 cups beef broth
- 1 tbsp liquid smoke I used Mesquite
- 2 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 tbsp fresh parsley chopped
- Preheat oven:Preheat the oven to 375 F degrees.
- Prepare short ribs: In a shallow plate whisk together the flour, salt and pepper. Dredge the short ribs through the flour mixture, making sure all sides are covered in flour.
- Sear short ribs on all sides:In a large Dutch oven, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the ribs, only half of them at a time, do not over crowd them and sear them on all sides, about 3 to 4 min per side until browned. Repeat with remaining ribs. Remove the ribs from the pot and set aside.
- Saute veggies:In the same pot add the onions, carrot, celery, garlic and saute for about 3 to 4 minutes or until the onion has softened and the garlic is aromatic.
- Deglaze the pot:Stir in the tomato paste. Add the Guinness stout, beef broth, liquid smoke, rosemary and thyme to the pot and bring to a boil. Season with salt and pepper, if needed. Add the short ribs back to the pot and cover with a lid.
- Transfer to the oven and braise: Place the pot in the oven and cook for 2 1/2 to 3 hours,until the ribs fall off the bone.
- Garnish and serve: Remove the rosemary and thyme from the pot, then garnish with parsley. Serve hot over mashed potatoes.
While I prefer to serve this over mashed potatoes, it’s also amazing over pasta, polenta, or even on its own.
You can use pork ribs in this recipe if you prefer.
Store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge for up to 3 to 5 days.
Please keep in mind that nutritional information is a rough estimate and can vary greatly based on products used.
Calories: 386kcal (19%)Carbohydrates: 11g (4%)Protein: 34g (68%)Fat: 20g (31%)Saturated Fat: 7g (44%)Cholesterol: 97mg (32%)Sodium: 413mg (18%)Potassium: 839mg (24%)Fiber: 1g (4%)Sugar: 1g (1%)Vitamin A: 1445IU (29%)Vitamin C: 4.8mg (6%)Calcium: 30mg (3%)Iron: 4.3mg (24%)