Don’t miss this delicious recipe for Baked Gnocchi with a rich tomato sauce, dollops of creamy ricotta and plenty of fresh spinach. Good for any event from a fast and straightforward weeknight meal to a memorable most important course with firm!
- 1 (16-ounce) package gnocchi
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, sliced thin
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 (24-ounce) bottle passata (crushed tomatoes)
- 1/4 cup cream
- 2 cups baby spinach leaves, packed, large stems removed
- 1 teaspoon fresh basil leaves, chopped
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup ricotta cheese
- 1/2 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded low-moisture mozzarella cheese
- fresh parsley leaves, chopped for garnish
- Preheat oven to 400F. Cook the gnocchi according to package directions (slightly undercooked is best). Rinse with cold water and set aside to drain.
- Heat an oven proof skillet over medium heat. Add the olive and garlic and heat until the garlic starts to sizzle and color slightly. Add the crushed red pepper flakes and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring constantly. Using a slotted spoon remove the garlic and discard, leaving the oil in the pan.
- Add the passata and cream to the skillet with the olive oil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and heat to a gentle simmer. Add the spinach and basil and stir until wilted. Remove from the heat. Add salt and pepper and check seasoning.
- Add the gnocchi and gently stir to coat. Spoon the ricotta into small mounds around the skillet the top with the grated Parmesan. Sprinkle with the mozzarella and bake for 10-15 minutes, or until the cheese is melted and the sauce is bubbling.
- Remove from the oven and allow the dish to cool slightly. Garnish with fresh parsley and serve.