Most easily cooked chicken in garlic butter, with mozzarella cheese. Tender chicken breast is cooked with garlic butter sauce and garnished with grated mozzarella cheese. Comes with quinoa, rice, pasta or the most delicious pan sauce for your vegetables!
BRINE THE CHICKEN FOR OUR BAKED GARLIC BUTTER CHICKEN
What is brining primarily? Prevent the process by dipping the protein into sugar or a salt water solution often flavored with spices and spices to ensure that the meat (or poultry) tastes tons from outside and inside.
I like to brine poultry with three main components in equal parts. Here’s what you need:
soy sauce (or GF tamari)
You can keep the chicken for up to 15 minutes or overnight. Remember, the longer you get wet, the more delicious your chicken will be. I usually let the chicken brine stand in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
- 4 chicken breasts (about 1 ½ pounds)
- 4 cups water
- 2 tablespoons EACH: kosher salt, sugar, AND low sodium soy sauce
- ½ teaspoon EACH: onion powder AND thyme
- ¼ teaspoon: garlic powder
GARLIC BUTTER CHICKEN:
- 1 cup low sodium chicken broth
- 4 tablespoons cold butter (cut into small cubes)
- 10 cloves garlic (4 minced, 6 whole)
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon chopped thyme (or ¼ dried)
- ¼ – ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 – 1 ½ cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- chopped parsley, for topping
- BRINE: Add the water, salt, sugar, and soy sauce to a medium bowl and stir until dissolved. Add the chicken breasts and allow them to marinate for as little as 15 minutes, or ideally 4-12 hours. Position a rack in the center of the oven and preheat the oven to 425ºF.
- SAUCE: In a saucepan over medium-high heat, combine the chicken broth, minced garlic, and allow the chicken broth to come to a boil, then lower the heat so it just simmers. Let simmer for 5 minutes. Add in 1 tablespoon of butter, remove the pan from heat and swirl so the butter starts to melt or use a whisk to melt the butter melt. Place back on the heat for a few seconds, remove and continue to swirl until butter melts. Repeat with the remaining butter. When the butter has completely melted and thickened the sauce, remove from the stove. Stir in the pepper, thyme, and red pepper flakes.
- ASSEMBLE: Remove the chicken breasts from the brine and pat dry using a paper towel. Combine the remaining onion powder, thyme, and garlic powder in a small bowl and sprinkle over the chicken breasts evenly. Place the chicken breasts in an oven-safe baking dish. Carefully pour the prepared sauce around the chicken breasts and drop the 6 remaining whole garlic cloves into the broth.
- BAKE: Bake uncovered for 19-25 minutes or until the chicken is almost cooked through (it should register 165F on a thermometer.) Add the mozzarella cheese to the chicken breasts and broil just long enough for the cheese to melt. Top with chopped parsley (or basil) and serve warm with crusty bread, pasta, rice, or steamed veggies!
- I suggest shredding your own mozzarella for this recipe. Pre-shredded mozzarella didn’t yield such great results for me, unfortunately!